HEALTHY EATING AT DAVANNI’S
And while many of our competitors try jump up on the bandwagon of healthy eating, we put our menu where your mouth is. Just read on:
DAVANNI’S Pizza: Tastes Great! More Healthy!
The taste of DAVANNI’S pizza is legendary! But did you know our delicious pizza is also healthy pizza? If you’re willing to remember just a few quick tips, the pizza you eat at DAVANNI’S will taste so good, you’ll have a hard time believing it’s healthy for you.
Moderation and Balance
If you want to eat and live healthy, the key is moderation and balance in everything. This applies to food, alcohol, stress — even exercise. We all know the benefits of regular and moderate exercise. In fact, walking is one of the easiest and best things you can do for your physical and mental health. Recent studies have shown that a small amount of stress is probably healthy and even “bad things” like alcohol and coffee actually have health benefits in moderation. If most of what you eat is reasonably healthy, the occasional brownie, cookie or rice crispy treat won’t hurt you at all.
Pizza — A Health Food?
Pizza has a reputation for being “junk food,” a “virtual heart attack on a disk.” Truth or fiction? Well, it all depends on you. Eat crusts loaded with sugar and shortening with tons of extra cheese and every type of meat that ever walked the earth (or crusts stuffed with cheese like some of our competitors offer) and you have enough saturated fats (bad cholesterol) and sodium to clog King Kong’s arteries.
And like at any restaurant, it is possible to do some damage to yourself at DAVANNI’S. However, we use very little salt and sugar in our dough (less than any of our competitors) and no shortening. Our pizza sauce starts from fresh tomatoes, not paste that has had the moisture and many of the nutrients cooked out of it. Done right, in moderation, DAVANNI’S Pizza can be a very healthy and nutritious part of your diet.
- It is balanced and complete.
- It is essentially a meal in itself. It contains all of the major food groups.
- It is high in protein, vitamins and carbohydrates.
- Tomatoes (pizza sauce) are high in vitamin C (which enhances the immune system and speeds healing), vitamin A (which protects our eyes and immune system), lycopene (a powerful anti-oxidant) and carotenoids (cancer fighting). In fact, a study of 8,000 people in Milan, Italy (where else?) found that the people who ate the most pizza, had the fewest cases of cancer.
- Mozzarella and romano are good sources of vitamin D and vitamin A. In fact, Sicilian pecorino romano (made from goat’s milk), which we import and use, was recently identified as one of the reasons that people from that part of the world live longer than any other.
- Basil, oregano and black pepper are strong anti-oxidants (protects cells from radiation and aging) and help prevent the growth of unwanted bacteria. Garlic has strong properties that help prevent heart attacks and strokes.
Making Your Pizza Even Healthier
- If you are concerned about carbohydrates, order thin crust.
- Order half cheese. You’ll still get plenty of cheese and flavor (the flavors of the other ingredients will really jump out) while significantly reducing the fat and sodium content. If you need more cheese flavor, add extra romano.
- Order just one meat topping. Canadian bacon and chicken breast are the best, although our hamburger and sausage are pre-cooked, so they are very lean as well. If you have to have your pepperoni, order just half a portion spread over the whole pizza, like with the cheese.
- Pile on the veggies. The more the better — tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, broccoli, and hot peppers are all high in vitamins, minerals, fiber, calories and no fat. The only veggie to watch is green olives because of the high salt content of the brine.
- Occasionally order you pizza “white” or “pink.” Olive oil gives you the healthy fat (good cholesterol) your body needs. Olive oil, garlic and black pepper — what could be better for your heart!
DAVANNI’S Hoagies: Don’t Worry! Eat Healthy!
There’s no reason why a Delicious Hoagie cannot be a healthy hoagie. After all, our hoagies are:
- A complete meal by themselves, with components from all of the food groups.
- High in protein, vitamins and complex carbohydrates.
- Low in sugar and comparatively low in sodium.
- While not particularly low in calories, you get a lot of “bang for your buck.” In other words, they are nutrient rich (the ratio of vitamins and other nutrients to calories is high).
- Our hoagie buns provide minerals and fiber.
- Besides being high in protein, our meats and cheeses provide good amounts of vitamin A (eyes and immune system), the B-complex vitamins (converts carbohydrates into glucose for energy, crucial in the metabolism of fats and protein, and necessary for the normal functioning of the nervous system), and vitamin D (bones, teeth, nervous system, heart function and blood clotting).
- Tomatoes and other vegetables provide B vitamins, vitamin C (enhances the immune system and speeds healing), lycopene, carotenoids, necessary minerals and numerous mico-nutrients.
Our hoagies are healthy to begin with. Here’s why! Our rolls have less shortening and sugar than theirs. Our meats are also much leaner. Our chicken breast, turkey breast, roast beef and pastrami are all oven roasted. Our chicken is 100% breast meat and not breaded or deep fried. Our ham and Canadian bacon are naturally (not chemically) smoked. Our pepperoni and salami are “hard” (soft salami, cotto, etc. are much higher in fat) and naturally cured. Our mozzarella has been twice named, “Best in the World.” We only buy “clean label” products. Our meatballs and sausage contain no fillers. None of our deli meats contain any MSG or texturized soy protein. When it comes to the “meat of the subject”, no one buys higher quality than we do. Nobody! The result is you don’t have to leave off all of the good stuff to eat healthy and still be low in fat.But that doesn’t mean that you can’t make your healthy hoagie even healthier. Here’s How!
- Want low fat with great flavor? Choose from any of these amazing half haogies: turkey, roast beef, ham, pastrami, chicken breast or veggie. Just order them with no mayo or oil. Because our rolls are healthier and our meats are leaner, you can still have the garlic spread and cheese and be under 10 grams of fat. Surprised that you can have roast beef and pastrami? That’s because we use only top cuts of meat that are 97% lean. (Our turkey breast is 98% lean.)
- You can order the Club with no pepperoni, no mayo or oil and eat a meatball or sausage hoagie with no cheese and still be under 10 fat grams also.
- Want it even lower in fat? Order it with no cheese, keep the garlic spread and you’ll be close to 7 grams of fat for any of these hoagies.
- Need more flavor? Replace our normal mayonnaise with our packets of low-fat mayo and/or prepared mustard (zero fat). Of course, extra tomatoes, lettuce or onion add flavor, fiber and vitamins with no fat.
- What? A half hoagie doesn’t fill you? Then add a side salad (no fat) with lemon or low-fat dressing and you can still be under 10 grams of fat for your entire meal!
At DAVANNI’S, Eating Healthy Comes Naturally, Is Delicious, Easy and Isn’t Boring!